The Imaam and Muazzin of a Masjid have always found their place amongst the ranks of the silent heroes of a community. Many times, they play a pivotal role in shaping society by advising the youth and offering assistance to those that are experiencing difficulty. It is fair to say that the Imaams and Muazzins of our communities go beyond their job description in serving the masses.
Considering the fact that many times their services go unnoticed, Radio Islam International brings you Voices of Virtue, A Tribute to Imaams and Muazzins. A campaign that will run throughout the month of Ramadaan and culminate at the Radio Islam Masjid Awards that will take place later this year.
Listeners are requested to pen down a tribute to their local Imaam or Muazzin by mentioning how the individual has impacted the lives of their family and the community. The objective of this campaign is to highlight the importance and value of the Imaams and Muazzins in society.
This campaign is family based. This means that even though one person might be writing the tribute, the focus should be on how the Imaam or Muazzin has impacted and assisted the entire family.
Aspects that could be touched on include, but are not restricted to:
- The sacrifices of the individual,
- The impact that he has on the family,
- The impact he has on the community,
- Masjid programmes,
- Maintenance of the Masjid,
- Hifz classes,
- Call to Salaah,
- Going out of his way to assist others,
- Having a personal relationship with every family in the community,
- Enjoying a cordial relationship with the Musallees,
- Any other point that speaks of his service or sacrifice.
The judges will be looking for a well-rounded individual rather than someone who simply speaks well or reads well.
Every weekday during the month of Ramadaan, one submission will be selected and read out on air. The winner will be announced at the Radio Islam Masjid Awards that will take place later year. There will be separate winners for the Imaam category and for the Muazzin category.
- Submissions should be a maximum of 500 words and a minimum of 300 words.
- Writings should be submitted on behalf of a family. The writer should mention his/her name but on air it will be presented on behalf of a family.
- A listener may write about both the Imaam and Muazzin but it should be separate submissions. Both individuals cannot be included in one submission.
- A listener may write about an Imaam or Muazzin that has passed away. However, Imaams and Muazzins that have passed on cannot win the award. Imaams and Muazzins in such submissions will stand a chance to posthumously win the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ at the Radio Islam Masjid Awards.
- Participants should take permission from the Imaam or Muazzin before writing about them.
- Closing date for submissions is 31 May 2019.
- Winners will be announced at the Radio Islam Masjid Awards that will take place in August 2019 inshaAllah.
- Be sure to include your name, family name, location and contact details.
Email scripts to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 011 854 7024 or drop it off at reception at our studios in Lenasia. For more information or other related queries, use the email address above.