In Solidarity with those massacred by Apartheid Israel, Boycot.Divestrment.Sanctions South Africa (BDS) is conducting a 24 hour vigil beginning Wednesday 21st November at 06:00am until 06:00am Thursday 22nd November. The vigil will take place at the Department of International Relations and Cooperation located at 460 Soutpansberg Road, Rietondale, Tshwane/Pretoria.
In addition to the vigil, there will also be many other rallies for Gaza. These include:
- Rally in support for Gaza organised by the Palestine Solidarity Alliance (PSA) and Coalition for Free Palestine (CFP) at the Baitun Noor hall, Topaz Street in Lenasia - Wednesday 21st November 2012 beginning at 8:00pm. (Guest Speakers: Moulana Sulaimaan Ravat from Radio Islam International and Zwelinzima Vavi from COSATU)
- Rally in support of Gaza in Benoni, Johannesburg, Bazme Adab Hall - Thursday, 22 November 2012 at 10:00pm.
- Rally in support for Gaza in Morningside, Durban- NMJ Hall - Wednesday, 21 November 2012 at 6:30pm.
In an e-mail the BDS said, “Even at the height of Apartheid in SA we didn't have F16 fighter-jets, military tanks or ground incursions on the scale that the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip are currently experiencing. These sort of Israeli attacks tragically confirm the position of the ANC chairperson, Baleka Mbete, who said at the October ANC International Solidarity Conference that the situation of the Palestinians is "far worse" than the conditions were under apartheid.”
The recent ANC National Policy Conference at Gallagher Estate was also very clear that the "ANC is unequivocal in its support for the Palestinian people in their struggle for self-determination, and unapologetic in its view that the Palestinians are the victims and the oppressed in the conflict with Israel. In line with this ANC position and in protest of Israel's attack on the Gaza Strip, we are calling on the South African government to:
- Immediately recall the South African ambassador from Tel Aviv
- Expel the Israeli ambassador from Pretoria
- Impose broad-based boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) on Israel until it ends its violence against the Palestinian people; abides to international law and respects human rights,” the e-mail added.
For more information on the vigil, contact BDS South Africa on 084-2119988 or 073-6828039 or visit their web page at www.bdssouthafrica.com
For more information on other rallies contact Ismail Moolla on 083-754-8900