Faizel Patel, Radio Islam News- 2013-05-13
Bayern Munich has decided to build a masjid with a full time Imam, an Islamic library and Islamic sessions in the Allianz Arena stadium to serve its Muslim players and fans. The news about the masjid was made public on the clubs official website.
The request was originally made by midfielder Bilal Franck Ribery who asked for a small room so that Muslim players could make salaah (pray) and the champion of German football Bundesliga administration approved the construction.
The administration also announced that they will finance 85% of the costs of the building, leaving 15% to Muslim players and fans who want to participate in the masjid.
Bayern Munich is not the first European club to build a masjid for its Muslim players after New Castle United specified a prayer room for Muslim players.
Ribery is believed to have reverted to Islam in 2006 after marrying a Muslim woman of Moroccan origin. Though he rarely speaks about his faith he recently told Le Paris Match magazine that he felt safe with Islam.