People are hooked to their technological devices while at work, walking, driving, running, eating, relaxing and even when going to the toilet. The cell phone has pervaded every sphere of our existence.he average adult is awake for 15 hours and 45 minutes every day. Research is showing that people are spending between 3 and 5 hours a day on instant messaging, social media and surfing the internet.
Accumulatively, an average person may end up spending about 5 years of his/her life on the cellphone.
Technology in itself is neutral. It can be used for good or bad. Islam is not averse to technology as long the manner in which it used does not contravene the laws of Shariah.
In a Jumuah lecture a Masjid Furqaan, Houghton Mufti Yusuf Moosagie outlined 5 ways to use the cellphone constructively.
1. Make good intentions for using the cellphone and social media.
2. Everything that is Haram in normal life remain Haram when using technology.
3. Do not broadcast a message without verifying it.
4. Be conscious about the amount of time you are passing on your cellphone.
5. Social Skills: Give preference to those around you instead of those you are chatting to via WhatsApp and social media.
Communication as we knew it has being disrupted. It is futile to ask people to shun the smart phone. We have to accept its presence and that it is here to stay will be part of our live. We need to govern the way we use it.
Click link to listen to the lecture