COURTESY CHEF MEGAN MEIKLE … A PASTRY CHEF
BANANA FRENCH TOAST
1. Cut the banana bread into 2cm thick slices.
2. Heat a frying pan with a little oil.
3. Dip the banana bread slices into the egg wash.
4. Fry off the banana bread until golden and crisp on all sides.
CANDIED WALNUTS RECIPE
50g sugar 20g water 50g walnuts Pinch salt
1. In a saucepan heat the sugar and water to 115 degrees Celsius.
2. Add the walnuts to the syrup and stir over medium heat until the caramel becomes a deep amber colour.
3. Season with salt and spoon out over a piece of greaseproof paper to cool.
4. Once cool, break into smaller bite-sized pieces.
120g white chocolate Pinch salt
1. To make the caramel base, pour the sugar into the base of a pot and stir over medium heat until a smooth caramel, amber in colour is reached.
2. Add the cream a little at a time and bring to a boil.
3. Pour over white chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
4. Season with salt to taste.
5. Refrigerate until set.
10g cocoa powder
1. Heat the cream and pour over the chocolate and cocoa powder.
2. Mix until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth and bright.
1. Pour a little chocolate sauce in the base of a bowl.
2. Dot around the caramel ganache.
3. Top with the candied walnuts and banana brûlée.
4. Finish off with vanilla ice cream and the banana French toast.
VANILLA ICE CREAM RECIPE
1 each vanilla pod 100g sugar
5 egg yolks
1. Bring the milk and cream to a simmer with a vanilla pod, split in half.
2. Allow for the vanilla to infuse into the cream.
3. Make a paste with the egg yolks and sugar.
4. Temper the hot cream into the cold egg mix, by adding a little of the hot liquid at a time, stirring continuously.
5. Pour back into a saucepan and while stirring continuously, bring the mixture up to 83 degrees Celsius.
6. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and allow the anglaise time to cool down.
7. Once cool, churn the ice cream base following the manufacturer's guidelines of your ice cream machine.
1 banana Sugar
1. Cut the banana into even rounds
2. Sprinkle each banana slice with sugar and brûlée with a blow torch.