2 Medium Onions finely sliced
Salt as required
10ml cumin powder/jeereu
5ml chilli powder
5ml coriander powder/dhana
10ml garam masala
30ml fresh garlic& ginger masala
3 medium tomatoes, liquidized
1kg chicken pieces cut into small pieces
20ml tomato chutney or tomato sauce
3 whole green chillies
10ml fresh dhanya chopped
vegetables of choice, steamed separately then added
8 small potatoes steamed
1. Melt butter in a large pot. Add onions and stirfry till golden taking care not to burn them.
2. Add 90ml water and lower the heat. Place a piece of grease proof paper over the pot, then place the lid over the paper. Steam till onions are soft and pulpy.
3. Mix spices with 250ml of water to make a soft paste then add this to the onions and cook for 5-10 mins until well blended, stirring often. Add the chicken and stir well.
4. Add tomatoes, sugar and more water and simmer for 20mins then add water as required to prevent the curry from drying out.
5. Stir in the yoghurt and cook for 3 ins. Keep simmering till chicken is done. Do not over cook the chicken. Take care when adding yoghurt, stir well otherwise it will curdle.
6. Add optional ingredients.
7. Serve with chapattis plain rice and raita