Any person who was in the companionship or saw NABI Sallallahu Alyhi Wa Sallam for even a very little while is a Sahaabi provided he or she died a MUSLIM.
1. Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhi Wa Sallam mentioned: "All the Sahabaah are just and pious and whomsoever amongst them you shall follow, you shall be guided."
2. The highest rank amongst the Sahaabah is that of Sayyadina ABU BAKR RA. His position is superior to the entire Ummah (followers) of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhi Wa Sallam untill the day of QIYAAMAH. Next in rank is Sayyadina UMAR bin KHATTAB RA. Thereafter is the position of Sayyadina UTHMAN RA, and then Sayyadina ALI RA. Thereafter the position of the other Sahaabah is best known by ALLAH TA'ALA alone.
3. Amongst the Sahaabah is a group of TEN Companions regarding whom NABI Sallallahu Alyhi Wa Sallam gave the glad tiding of JANNAH (Paradise). These are known as the ASHARA-AL-MUBASHSHARAH (the ten who have been given the glad tidings of JANNAT).
1. Sayyadina Abu Bakr RA.
2. Sayyadina Omar RA.
3. Sayyadina Osman RA.
4. Sayyadina Ali RA.
5. Sayyadina Talha RA.
6. Sayyadina Zubair RA.
7. Sayyadina Abdur Rahman bin Auf RA.
8. Sayyadina Saad bin abi Waqqas RA.
9. Sayyadina Saeed bin Jubair RA.
10. Sayyadina Abu Ubaidah bin Jarrah RA.
It is from the Sahaabah that the world learnt the DEEN of ISLAM. It is from them that we established the SHARIAH and obtained the SUNNAH of our NABI Sallallahu Alyhi Wa Sallam. A non-Sahabi is not equal in rank to the LOWEST Sahaabi, even though the non-Sahaabi may be the greatest WALI (pious friend of Allah).
It is COMPULSORY to show respect to all the Sahaabah, and ABSTAIN from speaking ill and criticizing the noble Sahaabah of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alyhi Wa Sallam.