As the world battles the COVID-19 pandemic and while electronic equipment is not succeptible to the virus it also needs to be cleaned and remain germ free.
The most important topic in the world right now is undoubtedly personal hygiene. Information and research from scientists all around the world points to the undeniable fact that personal hygiene plays a huge role in keeping oneself safe during these unprecedented times.
Various guidelines have been outlined by governments, health departments and health organizations all across the globe, such as washing your hands with an alcohol based soap or sanitizer for at least 20 seconds, and moreover, stay-at-home policies which have assisted in mitigating any potential risks that people might be exposed to.
However, a key aspect, which is often forgotten, is that our personal hygiene extends far beyond our own bodies, but also encompasses the items we use on a daily basis, and the environments that we live in.
With many South Africans now working remotely, one of the most crucial aspects of practicing good personal hygiene is ensuring that the devices used on a day-to-day basis for work, including laptops, cellphones and Wi-Fi routers are thoroughly cleansed and looked after as much as your hands are as the surfaces on these devices’ have the ability to hold onto germs just as much as your hands do.
UNICEF (The United Nations Children Fund) has also highlighted the importance of cleansing and disinfecting these high-touch surfaces using the following protocol:
- If a high-touch surface is dirty, first clean it with soap, or a detergent and water.
- Use a disinfectant product containing alcohol (at least 70%) to wipe down your device with.
- Ensure you leave your cleaning solution on your device for several minutes before wiping it off. This will give the solution enough time to ‘soak’ and effectively remove any existing germs from your device.
- Always read the directions to make sure you’re using the products as recommended to avoid damaging your sensitive electronic devices;
- Another solution would be to use wipe-able covers for your laptops and other electronic devices, as this will make the cleaning process much simpler and time-effective.
In addition to these guidelines, Lenovo has also come up with some simple yet effective steps on how you can easily keep your devices clean to ensure optimal personal hygiene:
- Remove and debris (crumbs, dust particles etc) from your device by gently turning it upside down or using compressed air.
- Apply a cleaning agent* to a lint free towel or cloth.
- Wring excess liquid out of your towel/ cloth to avoid damage to your device.
- Thoroughly wipe down all surfaces of your device, and subsequently allow to dry for the specified time on the cleaning agent label.
- Wipe off any remaining residue or liquid from the surface of your device
*Recommended: Isopropyl alcohol DO NOT use chlorine or bleach,