Three people in Jordan have been detained after a child died, and more than 800 were hospitalized, with food poisoning. All had eaten at a restaurant outside Jordan’s capital, Amman. The restaurant owner is one of those detained.
Health ministry official Adnan Ishaq said the meat had not been refrigerated in heatwave conditions, with temperatures rising above 40 Celsius. Ishaq said that laboratory tests had shown bacteria in the meat and poultry.
The five-year-old boy suffered heart failure. He was one of 826 people taken to hospital after the first cases of food poisoning were detected in the Ain al-Bashra area on Monday evening. Four people were in intensive care as of Wednesday. 321 remain in hospital.
The BBC reports that there had been a higher number of diners than normal at the restaurant due to the shawarmas having been sold at half the price.
The incident is being investigated.
Umm Muhammed Umar