Faizel Patel – 02/06/2021
The family of a 14-year-old teenager who was allegedly assaulted at a madrassah by a group of boys say the incident has left them in shock and anger.
A video showing Muhammad Khalid Khan and another boy fighting while other youngsters stood by and watched was widely circulated on social media.
According to family spokesperson Ibrahim Shaik who spoke to Radio Islam on Wednesday, the incident happened during Fridays prayers last week.
Sheikh, without identifying what sparked the altercation says a group of boys accosted Muhammad Khalid before allegedly assaulting him.
“They pushed him into a room which is the madrassah adjoining the masjid. They locked the doors, they took out the phone, they staged this thing and they started beating Muhammad up. Muhammad did put up some sort of defence, he tried to fight his way out of it. Unfortunately he was overwhelmed because the other boy was bigger in size.”
Shaik says Muhammad Khalid was admitted to hospital with serious injuries, but has since been discharged.
Shaik says a criminal case has been opened and the family will allow the law to run its course as they seek justice for the alleged assault against Muhammad Khalid.
He says the family of the other boy had tried to make contact with the Khan family regarding the incident.
“What we have had is an attempt the by the families involved to come and sit down and try and assist and help the situation. I am using the word assist and help in inverted commas because we’re not sure what is their interpretation of assistance and help . All we know is that at the moment nobody from the SAPS has been here to see the family.”
Shaik says the Khan family wants to send a strong message that bullying in any forms should not be tolerated.
Listen to the interview with Ibrahim Shaik