What a year was 570 AD (1)
A person was born, a prophet to be
Muhammed (ﷺ), that was his name
People were misguided and that’s when he came
He would go on to leave all the idols behind He is an example to the whole of mankind
Rabbi-al-Awwal (2) the month, in it was a day He came to this world, to show us the way
He was born in Mecca (3), the holiest place A life full of challenges, he was to face
Abdullah (4), his father, had by then passed away Leaving Amina5 his mother, in her arms he lay
Halima Sadia (6) took over his care
Until he was six, our prophet was there
His mother then died, he was left all alone
Abdul Muttalib (7), his grand-dad then made him his own
When our prophet was eight, his grandfather died Abu Talib (8) his uncle, became his new guide
In his 20’s,a merchant Muhammed,(ﷺ) became by trade Al-Amin, the trustworthy, became his new grade
Khadija aged 40, then became his bride He was 25, with her by his side
To the poor, she gave away all her wealth A dedicated wife in sickness and health
360 idols in the Ka’aba, there were at that time Our prophet realised that this was a crime
He would go to mount Hira (9) away from his wife Reflecting upon the purpose of life
Whilst thinking there in the midst of the night
He heard a loud voice which filled him with fright
The angel Jibrail had asked him to read Our prophet could not and didn’t take heed
The angel embraced him and then asked him later ‘Read, Read in the name of the Creator’
Who created man from a drop of blood
Our prophet couldn’t read but now he could
Our prophet rushed to the path straight ahead He heard a voice from the heavens which said:
Muhammed (ﷺ), you are the messenger of God Muhammed (ﷺ) was scared and thought this quite odd
‘Praise be to God’ his wife said instead
‘I know you’ve been chosen as His messenger’ she said
And thus Khadija accepted Islam
And over 23 years, was revealed the Quran
He preached to all people, every creed, every race Yet so many hardships, he had to face
There were fears for his life, then the Hijrah10 took place He entered Medina (11) by the Almighty’s grace
He was greeted by the Ansaris (12) who were not like the others they treated the Muhajirs (13) like their very own brothers
Then came the battles, fought face to face
Then the conquest of Mecca (14), Muhammed (ﷺ)’s birthplace
An-Nasr (15) was revealed, it’s message was clear Muhammed(ﷺ) knew that his time was near
The people gathered to hear his last speech
They didnt know, how far his message would reach
God had revealed his book, the holy Quran And now 1/4 of the world follow Islam
Muhammad (ﷺ) our role-model, the best of mankind has left the Quran16 and his Sunnah (17) behind
Read the Quran as much as you can
The words of Allah (18) for the guidance of man
Follow his Sunnah when eating and dressing And send him salutations and many a blessing
He came to mankind to show us the way
And soon we will meet, can’t wait for that day. (Insha’Allah) 19
- 570 AD was the year in the Gregorian calendar when the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was born
- Rabbi ul awal is the third month of the Islamic calender.
- Mecca is a city in Saudi Arabia where the prophet was born and spent the first 53 years of his life.
- Abdullah was the father of Muhammad saws, who died at a very young age just before the birth of the prophet.
- Amina is the name of the mother of the prophet.
- Halima Sadia was the wet nurse who looked after the prophet when he was a child.
- Abdul muttalib was the paternal grandfather of the prophet saws. (ie the father of Abdullah) He looked after the prophet saws for two years from age 6 to 8 years old.
- Abu talib was the paternal uncle of the prophet saws who looked after him from the age of 8 until the prophet saws was 50 years old. Unfortunately, he did not accept Islam at the time of his death.
- Mount hira is a mountain in Mecca where our prophet would often go to contemplate the meaning of life.
- Hijrah is the migration of the prophet and the Muslims from Mecca to Medina which occured when the prophet was 53 years old. This is also from when the Islamic calender starts (1AH (after hijrah))
- Medina is a city which is 300 miles north from Mecca where the prophet migrated to and spent the last 10 years of his life there.
- the ansaris were the muslims of Medina who received the Muslims of Mecca when they migrated there.
- the muhajirs were the Muslims of Mecca who migrated to Medina due to the persecution that they suffered there.
- conquest of Mecca happened in 8AH when the Muslims peacefully returned to Mecca led by the prophet and conquered it
- Al nasr (the help) is the the 110th surah (chapter) of the Qur’an which was the last complete surah of the Qur’an to be revealed. This surah hinted at the fact that the prophet’s mission was nearing its end.
- Qur’an is the final revelation of God, revealed over 23 years to the final prophet.
- Sunnah are the sayings and teachings of the prophet saws which Muslims follow as well as following the teachings of the Qur’an.
- Allah is the Arabic word for God.
- insha’Allah is an Arabic phrase which means ‘By the will of Allah’