CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • Mufti Mohamed Tikly 
    Thursday, 8:05 pm - 9:00 pm
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Overly Stringent Nigerian Governor Orders Hotels Demolished for Breaching Lockdown Rules

Nigerian authorities in Rivers State have demolished two hotels over an alleged breach of the country’s coronavirus lockdown rules.

State Governor Nyesom Wike, supervised the tearing down of Edemete Hotel and Prodest Home on Sunday. He claimed the operators had defied an order that hotels should be closed. Wike added people who had tested positive for the virus had been found in hotels across the state. However, he did not elaborate as to whether anyone who had the virus had been staying in either of the demolished hotels.

While the managers of both hotels have been arrested, the owner of Prodest Home, Gogorobari Promise Needam insists his had been closed. He said, “The hotel was not operating and 70% of the staff had been sent away, with only three staff present.” Needam said that officials had entered the hotel and solicited a bribe. He said, “………they said they would let us operate if we gave them money but we said we were not operational so had no money to give.”

The Rivers State government has denied the accusation but said that governor Wike signed an executive order granting him the power to enforce the lockdown. Nigerian lawyers, however, say an executive order cannot give the governor powers to demolish a building. The governor’s actions have been described as “executive recklessness and an abuse of office”.

Meanwhile, essential workers, including doctors, have also reported having been harassed and, in some cases, even arrested, for ‘breaching’ the lockdown. Officials are also to auction vehicles seized from those who violated the lockdown. Only those who have a personally signed pass by the governor are free to move, but these seem to be government workers only.

Wike personally supervised the first three days of the lockdown, which began on March 30, to monitor compliance. More than 200 people were arrested on the first day of the lockdown and taken to an isolation centre. 170 of them were later convicted and fined up to 50,000 naira ($128).

On Sunday, Wike announced that people are allowed to go out, on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, for “some fresh air” and to restock provisions.

The state currently has 15 active cases of the virus with two deaths.

Umm Muhammed Umar

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

21 May 2026 | 11:40 CAT 1-minute read The plight of the Rohingya remains one of the world’s longest-running humanitarian crises, with growing concerns over safety, accountability and the future of millions of displaced people. Speaking on Radio Islam International’s...

read more
The Africa Report

The Africa Report

19 May 2026 | 11:46 CAT 4-minute read Digital fraud crisis in Africa Africa is experiencing a rapidly accelerating digital fraud crisis as cybercriminals exploit the continent's booming mobile connectivity. Driven by AI tools, deepfakes, and social engineering, fraud...

read more
Middle East Report

Middle East Report

15 May 2026 | 11:45 CAT 3-minute read Strait of Hormuz: a competition of endurance The 2026 conflict in the Strait of Hormuz has devolved into a high-stakes war of attrition between the United States and Iran, marked by a collapsed, fragile ceasefire and persistent...

read more
The Resilience Of President Ramaphosa

The Resilience Of President Ramaphosa

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 14 May 2026 3-minute read Reigniting the impeachment debate around accountability and constitutional processes in his concord drama, President Cyril Ramaphosa is once again at the centre of political and legal turbulence,...

read more
The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

14 May 2026 | 12:50 CAT 4-minute read Trump’s China visit Donald Trump’s May 2026 state visit to Beijing marks his first visit to the country during his second presidential term, and is markedly different from his October 2025 meeting with Xi Jinping in Busan, South...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments