Faizel Patel –11/01/2021
President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that South Africa will remain on adjusted level three lockdown saying that most of the measures announced last year will remain in place.
The president briefed the nation on Monday after holding meetings with the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) and the Cabinet.
Ramaphosa moved South Africa to an adjusted level three lockdown last month, saying it would last until 15 January.
“Based on the recommendations of the National Coronavirus Command Council, Cabinet has decided to maintain the country on adjusted alert level 3. Most of the measures that were announced on 28 December 2020 will therefore remain in place.”
The president also announced that the 20 land ports of entry into South Africa will be closed until the 15th of February.
On religious gatherings, Ramaphosa says while people need both material and spiritual comfort, it is indeed unfortunate that the restrictions on religious and other gatherings have to remain.
“Research has identified several risks that arise from religious services and other gatherings. These include the risks associated with enclosed spaces, large groups, close proximity to others, staying for a long time in one place, and loud talking and singing. We will continue our discussions with religious leaders on how best to safely meet the desire of many our people to worship in congregation while working together to preserve life.”
Ramaphosa also says funerals are super spreader events and have become a death trap for many people.
“Funerals may not be attended by more than 50 people, and there needs to be social distancing, hand sanitising and mask-wearing.”
Ramaphosa also announced that the curfew will be adjusted from 9pm to 5am.