Faizel Patel – 25/06/2020
A senior Hajj official says the space allocated for each pilgrim for this year’s Hajj will be four times larger than the area allocated previously.
Saudi Arabia’s Hajj & Umrah Ministry on Monday confirmed that it took the decision to allow Hajj to go ahead with limited pilgrims to ensure that Hajj is performed in a safe manner while observing all preventative measures and the necessary social distancing protocols to protect pilgrims from the risks associated with COVID-19.
Speaking to Okaz/Saudi Gazette, Faten Bint Muhammad Hussein, advisor to Hajj and Umrah Minister Dr. Muhammad Saleh Benten says the space allocated for pilgrims would be applied in the case of their accommodation or tents in Mina and Arafat.
Faten says the social distancing measures would enable the ministry officials and service providers in facilitating crowd control and in ensuring the health of pilgrims.
“The presence of a large number of pilgrims will inevitably make the transmission of infection to others easier.”
Meanwhile the Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus welcomed the decision by the Kingdom to hold this year’s Hajj, with a very limited numbers.
Adhanom reasserted the WHO’s support of the Kingdom decision, stressing that all countries should make putting public hygiene, at the top of their priorities and interests.