By Mumtaz Moosa Saley
It has been months since I have seen some of my immediate family so when the President announced that family visits were allowed during level 2 of the lockdown, I was ecstatic. But I soon realized that the restrictions had been lifted and the number of infections has been on the decline, but this did not mean that the virus was not still wreaking havoc.
So, I had to ensure that when I visited my family, or they would be visiting me, these important rules should be maintained
- COVID-19 loves big groups if you must visit, keep it short.
- Always wear a mask, we trust a family member to disclose, but we tend to forget that there is a window period between being infected and symptoms showing.
- Even if you live with the person, always sanitise.
- If you are a hugger, remember you still must be an elbow bump.
- Do it in the garden, garden visits are the best and it always for safe social distancing.
- If you are having a meal, take your dishes and put it in the dishwasher, this helps that no one else must touch the items. If there is no dishwasher, simply wash your plate and cup. This will apply for bedding as well if you must stay over.
- Lastly, if someone declines an invitation, please do not take this personally as most people are just being cautious. Simply offer an alternative online or a phone call.