Faizel Patel – 06/04/2021
Former President Jacob Zuma has slammed officials who sought to convince him to appear before the state capture commission telling them that their visit was for a public show and under false pretences.
The former president released a 23-page letter on a letterhead bearing the name of Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma on Sunday of a meeting with African National Congress (ANC) top officials last month.
The letter was addressed to the secretary general of the ANC, Ace Magashule.
Zuma says he had a rethink about the country’s Constitution, which he claimed subverted the will of the people.
“Comrades, today you have come to me seeking to show that I am wrong in not going to the state capture commission charged by deputy chief justice Raymond Zondo. You come under the pretext of sympathy to me and to convince me to testify before the commission. Basically, this meeting is not about the issues I have raised, which should concern you, but a public show aimed at displaying to forces external to the ANC so that you can rein me in.”
Zuma also accused the ANC of looking away and failing to protect him from being attacked after allegations of state capture emerged, which implicated the Gupta family.
“In the more recent years, the ANC has never protected me as I faced unjustified attacks that I assisted the Guptas capture the state. You know very well that is not true, but you left the narrative to run along.”
Zuma says he is entitled to his freedom and right of conscience to refuse to participate in the judicial process that appears to lack the attributes of independence.